Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Crabby

I was so excited that Dungeness crab season finally opened. 
We went on our yearly trip to Half Moon Bay and bought the feisty crustaceans right off the boat and looked forward to trying a new recipe from Tyler Florence for Poached Dungeness crab with a Lemon Butter Sauce. 


*********************************************************************************

POACHED WEST COAST DUNGENESS CRAB
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

Time: 25 minutes

Serves: 4-6

2 large West Coast Dungeness crabs
1 meyer lemon, cut in half
10 dried red chiles
1/4 bunch fresh thyme
1 head of garlic, split through the equator
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon kosher salt
DRAWN LEMON BUTTER
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 clove garlic, peeled and gently smashed
1/4 bunch of thyme
1 lemon, sliced
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Set a large stockpot over high heat and make a court bouillon to poach the crab in.  Fill pot with water about two thirds full and add lemon, chiles, thyme, garlic, peppercorns and salt.   Bring to a boil then drop in crabs.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes.  Shut off heat and soak for 5 minutes before straining and cooling.

To serve, remove cap, cut off gills and split crab into 8 pieces.   Serve with Drawn Lemon Butter.

DRAWN LEMON BUTTER

Add all ingredients to a pan and set over low heat.  Slowly melt butter and barely bring to a simmer – the lemon and herbs should become fragrant.  Remove from heat and serve warm with crab.

Edited: October 14th, 2009

**********************************************************************************


John's a great crab wrangler and got them into the boiling court bouillon and we waited anxiously to taste the first of the season.  They were splendid, but sadly, did not agree with my new anatomy  and I could only eat very little and then I was in some major discomfort.  It may have been the lemon butter sauce, although I used very little, or I didn't chew enough or it's just too rich a fish dish for me right now.  It made me a little depressed.


Speaking about depression...it's that time of year again where I can get a little blue because I'm not with my family and dear, old friends. I was in Macy's yesterday and got all teary-eyed listening to the the Christmas music and seeing all the beautiful, sparkly things on sale and I just had to buy a new purse and go home.


As I approach a 50lb. weight loss, I can't help but still be amazed at this miracle of a surgical procedure.  Apart from the occasional bouts with upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea, this is a cake walk for weight loss. 
I have forgotten to mention that I have had my first bouts (pretty much in succession) of the dumping syndrome.  That happens when you eat something very sweet or very greasy and it results in nearly immediate intestinal cramping followed by diarrhea. Yet another deterrent and quasi-behavior modification technique to stop eating what is bad for me.


I haven't really begun taking this opportunity seriously and treat it as the gift it is and begin taking the best care of myself possible in these early stages of recovery and weight loss.
I've put off starting up at the gym and beginning the yoga classes.  I'm not paying attention at all to what I do consume for my sustenance. 


My current excuse? Why, it's the Holidays and I'll begin when they're over. 


My classic excuse is always: I work the graveyard shift.  That excuse covers a myriad of things that I don't get done.








P.S.  Last night, I had some poached crab without the drawn lemon butter sauce, just some seasoned olive oil (a scant amount) and it was DELICIOUS and stayed down without any discomfort.  Yipee! 
John also made his famous Crab Risotto and I had a spoonful of the rich, creamy, saffron-scented, crab-stuffed arborio rice and it was like taking a taste from the bowl of the Gods.






It is that good.









No comments:

Post a Comment