Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pig Out Day

Yesterday, I let my hair down and went out not for one, but two meals today.  It was such a gorgeous day in San Francisco, we took a drive first to the dim sum heaven that is Ton Kiang. This is my first experience with Dim Sum since my surgery.
So, we have little plate after little plate and I take one sample of  each dish.  I did something different with the items, though...I only ate the middle of the dumplings, potstickers, etc.  I ate the shrimp stuffing out of the eggplant and slowly ate a sesame ball.  It was all delicious.
I nearly made a fatal error, but corrected myself before tragedy struck.  I poured the tea for everyone including myself and at one point I reached to "wash down" something I had just swallowed.  Luckily, I remembered and stopped myself.  My husband moved the small cup out of my reach.
Here is my breakfast/lunch plate after it was all over:




Those are "shells" of a potsticker, bbq pork steam bun, shrimp shu mai and left-over eggplant sans shrimp stuffing. Later, two empty clam shells coated with black bean sauce joined the arrangement.
After that feast, we went to the Haight and walked around, went to Amoeba records then decided it was such a beautiful day we would walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.  We went to the north end and the sidewalk was closed for construction!  After hanging out there with the rest of the tourists on a beautiful, fall day watching the sailboats glide along on the calm bay, we drove down the Great Highway toward home and we
decided to keep going down Highway 1 all the way down to Half Moon Bay and have a bite to eat at Sam's Chowder House.

Sam's Chowder House is known for their Lobster Rolls.  It's usually the only thing we order every time we go down there.  Yesterday was no different. We ordered a dozen and a half clams on the half shell and two lobster rolls.  I split one with my husband.

The End of the meal:  

Here is where I jumped the tracks: I decided I wanted a cocktail and ordered a "Ginger Limeade" which was lime juice, ginger and VODKA.  There was a lot of vodka in that drink and it was not good.  I felt really ill after eating and taking a few sips of this cocktail.
It could also be the melted butter on the lobster roll, too much of the bread from the roll or one clam too many.  Whatever did it, I did not feel good at all and just wanted to get home and lie down which is exactly what I did when we arrived back.

Another lesson: Always remember that you had a Gastric Bypass and things are quite different now so don't eat or drink in excess.

I'm trying out a new mantra: "Respect the Pouch!".
I'll chant it to myself as I sit down to eat: RESPECT THE POUCH, Respect the Pouch, respect the pouch, respect the pouch, respect the pouch...



Healing wishes goes out to:  S.deR, get well soon...



No comments:

Post a Comment