Saturday, November 12, 2011

Back to the Mundane

Life is getting back to "normal" and it's routine and boring again.
I have returned to work and am getting my sleep deprivation racked up again.  My house is getting cluttered and things are piling up, so life is continuing on it's usual merry/Mary way.

I am feeling very good and continue to lose weight.  I've lost 33 pounds and am in desperate need to buy underwear that doesn't fall around my knees when I walk.
I am swimming in my uniform pants.  I didn't think to look at those before I came back to work and the alterations won't be done until next Thursday.  I'm not going to buy anything new with regards to my work uniform until: a) I've lost all my weight or b) My uniform tops fall off when I walk or someone tells me I look like a sad waif.

My eating habits are constantly changing and I'm finding out what I can and cannot eat without too much discomfort.

It took a couple of times out to a restaurant to figure out how to order a meal and a drink.  My sister was in danger of becoming an alcoholic since she felt compelled to finish all of the cocktails I ordered, thinking I would be able to finish them but after about 2-3 sips, I'm done. 
Same goes for ordering a whole meal.  It's much easier to order one dish and split it than to take home an entire plate of food missing only 4 spoonfuls. The waitstaff has been really nice bringing the extra plate/bowl and so far, no one has charged extra.
One of the most memorable food-sharing incidents happened last weekend when we decided to have lunch at Michael Chiarello's Bottega restaurant in Yountville, CA.

We decided to order the Mediterranean Seafood Brodetto which is really a seafood stew in a tomato based sauce.  Oh my goodness, when they brought us our own bowls full of the most delicious seafood, we couldn't believe this could be a split order.  We each got 2 of the plumpest, sweetest mussels (I've never had one as good, ever), 2 large shrimp, 2 clams and the rich fresh tomato broth had tender squid as a spoonful surprise.  It also came with a large crouton which, I swear, had tiny bits of butter that would melt on your tongue and to top off the crouton, was a dollop of a remoulade sauce. Oh, it was such a good meal! and I managed to eat most of it too, without any discomfort.  Even the Pinot Grigio we had was delicious, but again, my sister had to finish my small carafe that was left over after a generous pour.
Actually, the meals on our Napa trip were all very good, but the supremo was Bottega.

Go there!

No comments:

Post a Comment